Friday 5 June 2015

5th July...The Shukhov TV Tower...


The image I am currently working on is a version of a work I call 'They Were Better Days' It's An image of the Shukhov TV Tower in Moscow, designed by Vladimir Shukhov. This rare and unique object from the constructivist art period in Russia, is being painted by me with different colours, seen through the bars of this giant welded geometrical metal rods. This Tower was ofter seen in the distance in various places I used to go in Moscow and and has a special nostalgic memory for me. 

I guess by painting it I am, expressing my passion for Russian architecture and Moscow itself, which at times I miss dearly. Today I finished a fair amount of the left side...The effect is like a stained glass window, which I think in some way elevates the image, as this symbolically makes it quite church-like. Not that I'm religious, but I have always had a fondness for these multi-coloured primary light filled windows, I guess because I spent a lot of time in places like Canterbury Cathedral (near to where I used to live as a student), contemplating their magestic beauty.


No comments:

Post a Comment