Friday 26 June 2015

Visiting the Art College

The University Art College is also very close. I just had to leave our compound, cross over the road. Walk left a few minutes and go in the first entrance to the university. Through this Security entrances, Walk up the road and take the first left (I am writing these instructions so, any resident after me will know where to go!). The Art College an impressive building, however most of what I saw is quite traditional, but I noticed that things were changing in terms of contemporary idea, and there was evidence of Installation work, and some interesting painting and drawing. It was good to see a sculpture department with lots of casts, and I enjoyed looking at the various sculptures and graffiti scattered around the campus. At the college I met Professor Qin Jian, whom was involved with the set up of the Residency I am doing 17 years ago.

Professor Qin is a very interesting character, and we talk about art education and China. I like him very much as he is very honest and enthusiastic about his practice and the Chinese Art World. He tells me that he is interested in showing my work in future exhibitions that he will be curating in China and I really hope this is so, as I would very much like to work with him. Qin and I have many things in common for example we have both worked with Art Gene in Barrow, UK. He has also traveled a lot and he spoke to me about visiting England and his time in Xiamen working at the college, which he says improves every year, and he also tells me that he has set up new courses to teach students new contemporary ideas and methods. After our discussion, we arrange for me to do a talk to the students here about my work next week. It's so nice to Visit Art colleges in other countries, as one notices familiar patterns as well as various oddities and differences. I make a mental note: I would like to work here also in the future, should that possibility arise.












No comments:

Post a Comment