Thursday 11 June 2015

10th June, Another afternoon in Ziggy's (Sigurður Guðmundsson) studio...


I spent the afternoon talking to Ziggy in his studio. I am very fond of spending time with him, as he is very wise and funny. And takes his time before explaining things and he has made me realize that I need to make more connections with galleries and try and sell my work. He isn't a typical commercial artist but he works a lot with established galleries that sell his work. My work currently takes a long time to make, however I feel I could develop work in the near future, that may have a commercial value. I need to think long and hard about how this will work. Ziggy is pretty amazing and knows a lot about the Artworld. We agree on a lot of things. It's rare for me these days to meet a kindred spirit like this and I feel that I would like to be like him in 30 years time. We talked about many things: Nietzsche, Sensorship, Poetry, The Alan Kaprov idea of the blurred line between Life and Art and The important of teaching students of art - critical thinking skills. He stressed the importance of independent thinking and told me that I should sell my work. He liked what I was doing, which gave me a fist pump realisation that I am on the right track. He also told me that artist and criminals were similar, in that they define their own rules. This made me laugh so much. I feel a reel kinship with this man, and I mooted to him the idea of my doing a Gigapan portrait (similar to my Patrick Moore work) of him. I hope this happens but we will see....









No comments:

Post a Comment